If you were not here tomorrow, would your Cryptos sit forgotten on a Blockchain forever?
Matthew Mellon invested in Ripple (XRP) very early. An investment that eventually earned him a One Billion Dollar profit. Making him one of Crypto’s Top-Ten richest Investors.
In 2018 Matthew died unexpectedly. He died without leaving clear instructions how his Family could access the remaining $500 Million he still owned in XRP.
Whilst most of us do not have $500 Million stashed away in Crypto Coins what we do have is worth protecting, even if it is quite a modest amount today. After all those Cryptos may be worth considerably more in the years to come.
It’s common sense that all Crypto Investors should have a “Crypto Inheritance Plan”.
What is a Crypto Inheritance Plan
A Crypto Inheritance Plan is a set of instructions and information that enables your loved ones to access your assets, in the event of your passing.
It is not a mechanism to actually transfer your Cryptos. Instead it helps your loved ones find and access your Cryptos themselves, in a safe and legal way.
Although the need for such planning is undeniable, making a plan isn’t easy. There are so many details and risks to consider. It can be an overwhelming task. Which is why we developed NestEgg.
What is NestEgg?
NestEgg is a combined online e-course and desktop application. NestEgg guides you step by step through the process of building your own Crypto Inheritance Plan.
In a 1-3 hour window you put your first-draft Inheritance Plan together. From there you can improve aspects of it when you have time or as your needs change over time.
Your Plan is anonymous, encrypted and stored on the Ethereum Blockchain. Only you can access the information you record. The NestEgg application then emails you routinely. Should you stop responding for long enough then the assumption is that your Plan needs to be shared with your loved-ones.
Whilst you are following the course and writing your plan your information is saved to your own computer, in an encrypted, password protected file. When you decide to start using the NestEgg service those details are saved to your own, encrypted, dedicated Smart contract on the Ethereum Blockchain. The information you leave your loved ones is never saved in a centralised database.
The NestEgg Course
The NestEgg Course starts with the fundamental task of ensuring that none of your Cryptos could be lost or forgotten if you were suddenly no longer around.
From there the Course gives you a choice from a number of optional modules. Allowing you to customise your Plan to meet your initial needs and also to update your plan as your needs change . Every Crypto Investor’s situation will be unique so the modules cover a wide range is issues related to Crypto Inheritance.
By using the Ethereum Blockchain to save your Inheritance Plan. Your Plan is as secure, encrypted and decentralised as any Crypto Currency.
Some important points…
- You do not store your passwords or private keys in NestEgg.
- You never put your Passwords or Private Keys into the NestEgg Application.
- You keep these details safe yourself.
- NestEgg does not hold or transfer your crypto assets.
- Only your loved ones can access and transfer your assets.
- NestEgg does not manage, hold, transfer, or interact with your Cryptos in any way.
- NestEgg is not a Will or an Estate Planning tool.
- If you leave instructions in NestEgg for the Split of your Assets to your Beneficiaries it is doubtful any court would recognise those instructions as valid.
- NestEgg is the ‘Access’ mechanism, not the ‘Distribution’ agreement.
- If you want more information on this please see our Blog post ‘You can’t outlive your Bitcoin…’.
- NestEgg will email you routinely on a schedule that you choose.
- Only if you become unresponsive to our emails will your Inheritance Plan be emailed to your Loved Ones (and you define how long we wait before you are considered to be ‘Unresponsive’).
- Until then, the information in your Inheritance Plan remains completely confidential and accessible only by you.
DISCLAIMER: Nothing in this article should be considered as legal advice. This article and all others on www.nestegg.io are informational and are provided without warranty or guarantees.In the NestEgg e-course we discuss where relevant legal-advice can assist you in building your Crypto Inheritance Plan.